Tips for Keeping You and Your IAQ Healthy
Sick building syndrome (SBS) occurs when tightly sealed buildings with insufficient ventilation become infested with airborne toxins that create poor indoor air quality (IAQ) and cause health issues for the building’s occupants. The American Lung Association says that poor IAQ can pose a serious threat for Tallahassee, and all homeowners.
Telltale Signs of Poor IAQ
If your home has poor ventilation, a humidity problem or excessive dust, or if you don’t maintain your HVAC equipment or your ductwork, indoor air may be making you sick. Common symptoms of poor IAQ include:
- Watery, burning eyes
- Throat irritations
- Sinus conditions
- Respiratory problems
- Headaches, dizziness and nausea
- Skin rashes
- Aches and pains
- Inability to concentrate
What’s Polluting my Indoor Air and What can I do About It?
Common pollutants include volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like paints and solvents, household cleaning agents, viruses, bacteria, mold, mildew, dust mites, pet dander, carbon monoxide, mold spores and cigarette smoke. If you suspect that your home suffers from poor IAQ, your HVAC contractor can provide effective remedies. Here are some solutions for polluted indoor air:
- Ventilation can reduce the concentration of airborne contaminants. Open some windows every week to air out your home or look into a whole-house ventilator.
- High-tech portable air purifiers and air cleaners can remove up to 99 percent of indoor air pollution.
- UV lights kill mold, mildew, bacteria and viruses.
- Duct cleaning clears away pollutants in ductwork including bacteria, mold, dust mites, viruses, insect droppings, mildew and dander.
- Maintenance eliminates dirt in HVAC equipment that blows inside when your system cycles on. Be sure to change air filters regularly; they can be a significant source of pollution.
To learn more about cleaning the air in your Tallahassee, Crawfordville, Bradfordville, Centerville, Capitola, Monticello, Homestead Ridge, and Southwood FL, home, call High Quality Heating and Air Inc
You May Also Like
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, inadequate ventilation is a leading cause of poor indoor air quality. If you’re like most Tallahassee,… Continue Reading Mechanical Ventilators Help Remove Airborne Contaminants…
With zoning, you can have custom indoor comfort in Newport, FL. Forget about traditional all-or-nothing climate control. Zoning gives you heat and… Continue Reading Use Ductless Multi-Splits to Create Zoning Within Your Home…
The long, hot and humid summers in Tallahassee, FL mean that your entire air conditioning system has a high workload. The indoor… Continue Reading Selecting the Right Air Handler for Your Central AC System…